Saturday, December 22, 2012

Fallen: Closing Remarks

Well, I finally turned in the "final" version of Fallen (well, last week I was enjoying some rest). Final is in quotations because the version is really nothing more than a demo showing off the mechanics that we wanted to do. I can honestly say that I am satisfied with the product we were able to deliver, but disappointed that we couldn't release the full scale game that we wanted. That is mostly because of time. There just wasn't enough time to complete the full version with the resources we had. If we were to continue on with this project, it would probably take at least another semester of hard work, work I have to allocate elsewhere. As much as I would love to complete this game fully, I'm just too busy with school work and other projects for the next semester. We may pick this project up again during the summer break, but I don't know if we will carry through with these plans.

If we were to carry on the game, there would be a lot of things I would like to change but couldn't to keep consistency and stay on schedule with the completion of this version. The biggest thing I would like to change is the tool we use to build it. I would scrap Game Maker in a heart beat and use another language. I suggested Actionscript 3.0, but that was only to fit within the time I had. I would like to start this game from scratch again and use the lessons I learned making it to better improve the product. If I were to go all out on this game and assuming I had the resources and time to actually do it, I would love to have this game as an open world 3D RPG. This would require 3D artists and animators, the artist we have is an awesome 2D artist, but he will be the first to say that his 3D work is basically non-existent. I would like to recruit some more programmers on this task since the workload will be extremely heavy with a sufficiently large game that would be like any other RPG you've played (like Dragon Age). If we are keeping things to a pipe dream, then this game could be your next AAA game. So if I were able to have all those variable accounted for (some how), then the tool I would most likely use is a combination of C# and C++ most likely using the .NET framework and possibly UDK. If this game is to be scaled back drastically, but able to keep the open world 3D aspect to it, then I would like to use UDK or Unity.

With that, this concludes the series on Fallen. You can download the demo here. I will take a rest for the rest of this year and pick up again, when next semester starts and I start the next Game Development course. The course focuses on Alternative Gaming, so it should be interesting what the result may bring and a chance to do something bearable this time without Game Maker. Who knows, only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment